When good grooming goes bad
Men: how to resolve common body image issues
The rise of the retrosexual man
Can a fake tan change a man's life?
Top 10 tips for avoiding irritated skin
Sydney leading dermatologist Dr Adrian Lim gives his top tips for blokes to avoid irritating sensitive skin this summer.
- 1. Take your time and avoid rushing the shave.
- 2. Mastering your shaving technique will help avoid nasty bumps and lumps.
- 3. Use a mirror or get your partner to map out the direction of hair growth you will find it rarely grows the one way. Each stroke should follow the direction of growth. Combining a good shaving technique with fresh, quality blades will help reduce pressure and irritation.
- 4. Those with really sensitive skin and a susceptibility to in-grown hairs should be careful of over-shaving and shaving against the grain as it may aggravate the condition.
- 5. Avoid using harsh soaps and over-scrubbing the skin as this will contribute to skin irritation.
- 6. Use a gentle cleanser to remove grit and grime and prepare the skin for a smoother shave.
- 7. It's important to leave gel on for at least a minute or two before shaving to soften the facial hair and reduce the cutting force, such as the Gillette Fusion HydraGel Pure + Sensitive.
- 8. Applying an alcohol free moisturiser, such as the Gillette After-the-Shave Moisturiser which has proven performance on sensitive skin. This will help replenish and rehydrate the skin, resulting in smoother, more comfortable skin.
- 9. Avoid shaving before prolonged periods in the sun, surf or playing sport. Shaving opens the pores and perspiration can increase the chance of irritation.
- 10. Avoid sun burns always use sunscreen when outdoors with sun exposure.