Skin expert and author of The Healthy Skin Diet Karen Fischer offers her top tips
A healthy complexion is one of the best assets you can have. Your skin should not be overly oily or tight or uncomfortably dry. Your skin tone should appear even with minimal rosiness. Skin problems can prevent people from fully enjoy their lives as they’re more likely to feel self conscious. Healthy skin can enhance self esteem and life enjoyment. A healthy complexion is a sign that your bloodstream is efficiently supplying oxygen and nutrients to your skin's outer layer, and that your lymphatic system is adequately removing dead cells and other wastes.
Now, I love a good quality skin cream as much as the next girl; moisturiser can make the skin feel extra soft, however, a healthy diet does so much more. It gives you energy and creates a strong body from the inside out. You don’t need to be born with the ‘good’ skin gene: beautiful skin can be created with a healthy diet and that’s good news for the rest of us. In an effort to get your skin looking great in time for spring, I have supplied my top ten tips for beautiful skin.
- 1. Hydrate yourself with eight to ten glasses of fluids daily
- 2. Eat two handfuls of dark leafy green vegetables every day.
- 3. Eat moisturising foods rich in healthy fats - have 1 to 2 tablespoons of ground linseeds/flaxseeds or flaxseed oil per day and/or eat fish two to three times per week.
- 4. For lunches and dinners: fill half your plate with salad or vegetables as they are low in calories. The other half of your plate is reserved for carbohydrates and protein. Have approximately three average-sized dinner plates of food each day.
- 5. Excessive dieting is bad for the skin so be sensible and never skip a meal. Your food is your fuel, nothing more and nothing less, and if you choose mostly healthy foods and eat a sensible amount, your body will look and feel great.
- 6. Be a sleeping beauty. Eight hours of quality sleep is recommended for gorgeous skin.
- 7. Moderate exercise is great for the skin as it improves circulation to the skin and lymphatic drainage of cellular waste. This give you a healthy glow. (Keep exercise under two hours).
- 8. When choosing a beauty product, check the ingredient list and test the product on your skin.
- 9. Wear a hat and apply sunscreen if you’re spending time in the sun – they’re the best anti-ageing products available!
- 10. A person who prioritises relaxation for a few moments each day is more likely to have great skin. Make peace with your body by complimenting yourself often.
This is an edited extract taken from The Healthy Skin Diet www.exislepublishing.com. For more information on Karen Fischer visit her website www.healthbeforebeauty.com.